While your average smartphone is great in the 10% of the world that has mobile phone coverage, with inReach™ you’re connected everywhere. Whether you’re crossing the Nullarbor or the Pacific, you’ll have reliable coverage on the other 90% of the earth — with the world’s only truly global network. Simply install the free Earthmate app, and transform your smartphone or tablet into a two-way text-messaging global communications device and a GPS viewer.
Smartphone running the Earthmate App. inReach™ Device connecting to devices via bluetooth.
Unleash your Smartphone OR TABLET – text, e-mail, post and tweet from anywhere ///
Messaging ///
  • Compose email or SMS addresses on the fly, or select from your phone contacts
  • Compose and send messages up to 160 characters
  • View incoming messages
  • Post to Facebook, Twitter, or your own shared map
Messaging / Facebook / Twitter / Bluetooth Icons
Interactive SOS ///
  • Describe your situation in detail to improve emergency response
  • Stay in touch for mutual status updates on your situation
  • Automatic location tracking
SOS Icon
Follow Me/Find Me Tracking and Location ///
  • User-selected tracking interval (10 minutes to 4 hours)
  • GPS position accuracy to within 5 meters
  • View tracking breadcrumbs online
  • Share your adventure with family and friends on your online MapShare page with optional password protection.
Tracking Icon
Navigate ///
  • Navigate using Delorme's Digital Atlas of the Earth maps
  • Unlike streaming maps, your downloaded maps remain available even when outside of mobile coverage
  • Free Earthmate app for smartphone or tablet users at iTunes or Google Play enables free map downloads
Device Compatibility ///
  • iPhone® 5
  • iPhone® 4S
  • iPhone 4
  • iPhone 3GS
  • iPad® (3rd generation)
  • iPad 2
  • iPad
  • Android phone
  • Android tablet
  • iPod touch® (3rd and 4th generations)
Specs ///
  • Dimensions: 8.6 cm H (12.1 cm including antenna), 7.2 cm W, 4.4 cm D
  • Weight: 198 g without batteries; 227 g with 2 lithium batteries
  • Waterproof and dustproof (IP68) and buoyant (it floats)
  • Impact-resistant (Mil STD 810F)
  • Operating temperature: −20°C to 70°C
  • Storage temperature: −45°C to 75°C
  • OS locking mechanism complies with RTCM SC-128 for satellite emergency notification devices (SEND); prevents false alarms and supports one-handed gloved operation
  • GPS chipset for remote tracking and embedding location coordinates in all sent messages. Accuracy +/− 5 meters
  • GPS fix reports position, speed, course, and elevation with each track or message sent
Power ///
  • Uses two AA lithium batteries (included)
  • Lithium batteries provide the best performance and are strongly recommended. Alkaline and NiMH batteries also supported
  • Battery life: Up to 125 hours (lithium) sending one-track point every 10 minutes; results will vary depending on usage conditions
Certifications ///
  • IC
  • FCC
  • CE
  • C-Tick
What’s in the Box? ///
  • inReach™ 2-way communicator with GPS
  • USB to micro-USB cable for firmware updates
  • 2 AA lithium batteries
  • Lanyard
  • Quick Start Guide
  • Activation and SOS information card
  • GEOS search and rescue information
Backpacker Quote